Jun 7, 2011

Unlocking Creativity

 
I'm the kind of person that needs to be inspired in order to be drawn to action. When it comes to work or study, this usually means being one of those people who "work well under pressure", aka a procrastinator. Today I was feeling utterly uninspired which led me to think more about what provokes my photography.

For all photographers, I think there are just those moments when you look through the viewfinder and you think, that's it. Well, that's pretty much my process 98 percent of the time. Something colorful, patterned or shiny catches my eye, and I try to figure out the best way to reveal the inner delicate beauty of that thing.

Walking towards the Metro today I passed the fountain at the station entrance, as I always do. At the bottom of the fountain, I noticed this swirl of white foamy water that reminded me of a smooth slab of agate. So unexpected and so pretty.



What helps, aside from lots of photo shooting, is browsing the work of photographers you admire. Every photographer has a different style and approach, some which may speak to you more than others.

A photographer whose work speaks to me is Max Wanger. His latest blog post gives a much more poetic - and succinct - piece of advice on sources of inspiration: just jump.


No comments:

Post a Comment