Aug 24, 2011

Weaving Wonders



I don't know about you guys, but I am personally ready for fall to arrive. I can't wait for the colors of fall. Not only do the trees' rich, earthy hues captivate the photographer's eye, but they also are wonderful colors to wrap yourself in against the season's crisp weather.

I just discovered the beautiful, handwoven scarves of fashionABLE. This non-profit organization aims to create sustainable business for women in Africa. Currently their scarves are made by women participating in their first program in Addis Ababa. I didn't realize this until my scarf (like the striped one pictured above) arrived, which has a tag indicating it was "Made in Ethiopia". fashionABLE just released a number of new styles for fall that I highly encourage you to check out. I guarantee - these scarves will keep you warm inside and out!

(sidenote: this discovery is such perfect timing as I'm currently reading Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone. This book is a beautifully woven tale of twins, born from mysterious and haunting circumstances, who come of age in Ethiopia during the 1960's and 1970's. I can't put it down!)

No comments:

Post a Comment