May 17, 2012

Hello Hanoi!


What a place! Every city I've traveled to has its own unique charm, but Hanoi really was spectacular. 

Hanoi streets are always bustling with motorbikes and the sidewalks are crammed with well, more motorbikes actually. But where there aren't motorbikes are open-air, streetside cafes where you can enjoy local favorites such as fresh and fragrant bun cha, pho bo or banh mi pate and wash it all down with a bia Hanoi. 


 Ladies wearing the traditional Vietnamese Non La will pass by selling fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs. 


While taking a post-lunch walk, you will discover tiny pagodas tucked away onto small side streets, only immediately identifiable by their ornate, colorful entryways. 

 

While roaming the streets you may tuck into an art gallery...

...or even see Uncle Ho Chi Minh...



While I'd love to say that this was my everyday routine while I was in Hanoi - truth be told - I was in the office or in my hotel room most of my stay. But over the two weeks I was there, I managed to visit a few of the "must-see" tourist attractions, including the infamous "Hanoi Hilton"- the French-built prison was initially intended for Vietnamese prisoners and then eventually was used for captured servicemen (including POW John McCain) during the Vietnam War.



Finally, some other pictures while bopping around the city on my last weekend...

 
My two weeks in Vietnam flew by far too quickly but really just a taste is all it takes. I hope to be back soon! 

Next up - photos of the hauntingly beautiful Ha Long Bay...

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Bonus points for the POW McCain reference:)))

    ReplyDelete