Jul 3, 2011

America's Riches

The Fourth of July holiday is usually a time to be outdoors with some buddies, catching up over BBQ and beer, perhaps go tubing or catch a fireworks show. I’ll certainly be enjoying some of these things this weekend, but I’ve also been thinking about what it means to be a U.S. citizen.

The word “America” draws to mind many things – privilege, power and prosperity come to surface in my mind more prominently than others. While I’ve never been one to join patriotic rituals (not for nation, nor any school*), I do inherently believe that America is a land of freedom and opportunity.

I attended 2nd grade at an elementary school in northern Virginia. From my class, I can remember only one fellow student. Hussein was a shy, skinny kid. His family was Muslim and so every morning, he sat at his desk quietly scribbling while the 25 kids surrounding him stood up to recite the pledge of allegiance. At the time, I thought, no biggie. Now I’m awed at the integrity and bravery of this 7 yr. old boy who said, no thanks, I’ll sit this one out.

I also remember Kesha (no dollar sign), who joined our 4th grade class after his family moved to the VA suburbs from Russia. Where in Russia I don’t know – it was just an expansive, snowy place somewhere far away. He was pudgy with short, spiky hair and I remember him being incredibly polite. A lot of boys teased him for his thick Ruski accent. Then, the summer before 8th grade, Kesha hit puberty. Soon, all the girls were after him and the boys started asking him to join their pick up basketball games.

These memories are among many that have led me to always cheer diversity over division. I find the recent “coming out” of children of illegal immigrants living and working in the U.S. such an important movement, especially at this time when certain states are pushing forth regressive immigration policies. We need more Americans to understand that immigrants are not a strain on resources, they are resources - resources making America a richer and more enriching nation. To quote the wise words of Cher Horowitz, “By the end of the day, it’s like, the more the merrier… And may I remind you, it does not say R.S.V.P. on the Statue of Liberty!”

My friend Steph introduced me to the awesome photo essays of Mother Jones. The mosaic below was plucked from Matt Slaby's photo essay entitled, "Can You Spot the Future Americans?"


* that marching band stint in 9th grade was mandatory. No, really.

1 comment:

  1. great post, sara. despite their simplicity, portraits of strangers are always so powerful. (i may or may not have played the clarinet in my middle school marching band as well!)

    ReplyDelete